(from part of my application)
I have been working with high school and college students since I was an undergraduate—first as a camp counselor and RA, then as a teacher and assistant housemistress at a boarding school, and, for the past few years, in university residence life. In these years I have come to understand better the complex role of an educator. I believe “educator” should not necessarily equal leader, but instead guide. I know people require an individualized balance of challenge and support to deal with situations in a healthy manner. And, I think educating does not mean changing people to fit my idealized image of them but rather helping them achieve their goals (with the appropriate challenge from me).
In the past few years, I have become more intrigued by how students use (and abuse) their bodies to achieve their goals. The way that individuals erect psychological barriers to their success also interests me. I believe we take little advantage of our bodies’ immense power and often are trapped by our minds instead of by reality. I see the NOLS course as an opportunity to explore these interests, personally and professionally. I believe the fourth element of the Outdoor Educator Course curriculum, the teaching methodology, will help me make even greater meaning of my NOLS experience and help me to translate my experience to my future work with students.
No comments:
Post a Comment