Shiny metal. Bright colors. Fuzzy fabrics. Smooth leather. Sleek objects. Upbeat music.
Welcome to the world of outdoor equipment stores.
For many, walking into this environment would remind them of entering Willa Wonka's factory. If it were socially acceptable to skip through the aisles, I think some of the customers would. As it were some people stood nearly salivating gazing at the displays. But, as a novice in the world of outdoor equipment, walking into REI and similar stores overwhelmed me.
My parents and I had ventured to a few local stores to look at boots. Much of what was specified beyond the boot section of the 8-page equipment list could have been written in Russian for as much sense as it made to me.
Luckily I made two great friends in Durham last year who kindly volunteered to chaperone me on an REI spending spree. As a woman who greatly dislikes shopping, I am incredibly indebted to them for their patience and good humor as I tried on numerous boots and an amazing amount of fleece. I'm certain I'll be even more grateful when I'm warm and dry on Day 53!
No comments:
Post a Comment