11 December 2006

dryer

After skiing all day one of the first things we do upon arriving in camp is change out of our wet socks, gloves, etc. into dry ones. Then we need to dry the wet ones. Leaving them outside on trees as we have in previous sections is not really an option as they will freeze, so we put them on the best dryer we can find...ourselves. Thus when I crawl into my sleeping bag at night I usually have four socks on my shoulders (two on each one) and four to six gloves on my stomach (tucked into my sports bra). We put wet items directly on our skin to facilitate the drying process. I now understand how students can smell so bad after a winter section...but I wouldn't change that as it means dry clothing for the next day!

We maintain our ability to dry clothing (and stay warm) by consuming copious amounts of butter, chocolate, cheese, and meat. It is estimated that we burn 3500-5000 calories per day and we try to make up for that in our food intake. Bacon is my new favorite food...and bagels cooked in bacon grease are fabulous. Thanks JC!!

No comments: