09 February 2007

radioligist's report

I can barely make sense of this (I had to read it with a dictionary at my side), but looking at it along with the x-rays made it pretty easy to see that I definitely 'went big'. I'd love to see some sort of computer animation of how the doctors think I incurred these breaks--how I fell, what my leg did as I fell, of what benefit my hiking boots were or weren't, etc.

4 views of the left ankle demonstrate a comminuted fracture of the medial malleolus with mild distal distraction. There is in addition a vertical fracture of the posterior malleolus which involves less than 25% of the articular surface of the tibial plafond. A comminuted spiral fracture of the distal fibular diaphysis is noted with mild posterior distraction of the fracture fragments as well as minimal lateral displacement and minimal angulation apex directed laterally. There is minimal widening of the distal tibiofibular syndesmosis and there is mild widening of the medial gutter of the ankle mortise consistent with deltoid ligament as well as distal tibial-fibular syndesmotic injury. Moderate medial and lateral soft tissue swelling is noted and a tibiotalar joint effusion is present.
Impression:
1. Fracture of the medial malleolus.
2. Posterior malleloar fracture.
3. Weber type C fracture of the distal fibula.
4. Deltoid ligament as well as distal tibiofibular syndesmosis injury.

No comments: